Friday, April 11, 2008

New Horse

My stay here is constantly full of surprises. 2 weeks ago Jim, Judy and I started talking about a 4 year old Belgian mare up the road. I thought she was beautiful and her size was what I like in a horse, almost eighteen hands.

We knew she wasn't being worked and lived an isolated life doing nothing amongst 120 beef cattle. At some point it had crossed all our minds; "that horse needs a better home". Not that she was being abused or under fed, she just needed someone to work with her.

Judy and I went to look at her one afternoon, she immediately showed us her affection. As she let me handle her I found myself becoming attached.

But how insane, why do I need a horse; how will I pay for all the expenses that come with a horse, not forgetting the purchasing price as well. Where will I keep her, where will I go with her when I move on, how am I going to have the time to train her; can I train her?

All these thoughts went through my mind. After covering every area with Jim and Judy, who were nothing but honest and put a positive spin to the negatives; I walked up the road and struck a deal.

Her name is "Katie View". She is a registered Belgian mare, whose father is a prize winning stallion! She has had no handling and her feet have been neglected. It will take lots of patience and many months to bring her feet back. For the time being we have her isolated in a large box stall. We spend lots of time talking to her, grooming her and are getting her used to being tied.

Before we know it she will be with the other horses and hitched on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing her strength at work!

pictures to come.

No comments: