Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stopping the Snow Dance

Another hunker down day. I am now entering the foray of the IT world. Little did I think that pioneer farm would have a blog. The word wasn't in my vocabulary until a few weeks ago. I do think however that instead of a newsletter to all who may be interested in the goings on on the farm this would be a great alternative.
trouble is how does one start. I guess with todays happenings. All animals are safely enclosed in their respective barns/stalls except of course the horses as they come and go at will from their enclosure. They have two new round bales and are always so happy to get stuck in to a fresh bale. icicles swing from their thick fur while their noses are buried deep into round hay burrows always searching for that choice piece. The wind is swirling and blustering with unusual vengeance creating near white out conditions. If such is the case here in this generally sheltered spot I wonder how our neighbours are fairing.
The llamas and goats were none too happy at yet another prospective day in the barn and I put breton (llama) in with flora (ewe) to give a bit of space for the llama area also as breton and simon don't get along in an enclosed space for long. Sweetie my wonderful Finn ewe was put down a couple of weeks ago she had contracted incurable ovine pnuemonia and coulddn't fight it any longer, leaving a lonely flora wondering where her companion is. Hopefully I can peruade Jim to get another sheep this spring as she will not want to keep the grass cut alone!

Previously posted March 2, 2008

1 comment:

Judy Bertling said...

What a wonderful idea combining nature and technology to allow the world access to your lovely farm. Your descriptions allow me to reminisce of my childhood days on our family farm. As I sit here reading I can smell the fresh hay and long to have my own flock of sheep once again. I look forward to further posts and updates on the animals!

Previously posted by farmland lady march 4, 2008