Saturday, March 29, 2008

Piggy Arrival!


Well, this is my first entry for our blog. I am certainly not as poetic as Judy; her british seems to make everything sound like a novel. We hope that this blog will provide entertainment and education. I will say that I am a bit skeptical as to whether we will make entries on a regular basis. Dealing with dial up internet and the everyday tasks of caring for animals leaves little time.

Today was by far the nicest day we have had since I arrived 3 weeks ago. The sun was shining all day; the horses got to go out for a much needed ride and the ice is melting rapidly.

Thursday evening and Friday morning we picked up our first group of piggies. Thursdays pigs were particularly special. Judy and I picked them up on our way back from a conference in Charlottetown. We took my 89 honda prelude and cleared out the trunk, put down a blanket and stuffed it full of straw. I like to think of it as sustainable pork transport. The pigs went right to sleep and were kind enough not to poop or pee! I dont think we will be taking them to the abbatoir in my car.

I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to locate any heritage breed of pig currently on the Island. Judys friend Tina is the only one, she raises large blacks (thank you Tina). You might ask - why dont you go get them in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia? - Well, PEI is one of the very few places in the world that doesnt have two particular viruses associated with hogs. They would like to keep it this way and have there for put laws in place stating that if you are to bring any hogs onto the island they must first have the correct blood testing and paper work approved. Well this paperwork comes at a rather high cost and would not allow me or any farmer to be profitable when selling pork.

So we currently have 2 large black/hampshire gilts and 2 yorkshire/landrace gilts. They are getting along well and will be fed a mixture of boiled potatoes, carrots and organic grains, along with raw milk twice a week. Lets not forget that these pigs will be foraging in the woods and snacking on pasture as soon as the snow melts; this will make up a good portion of their diet!

I look forward to talking more about the pigs and the methods I will be using to raise them.

Until then, enjoy the pictures in the slideshow and rest assured that both Judy and I will become better at this blogging business!

R

2 comments:

Aswah said...

a first post? holy moly! Great POST... please make time...

aswah et Lisa et Lucy

Aswah said...

ps. seeya tuesday... Francois aswah.blogspot.com